Friday, September 17, 2010

Just so you know...

Happy Friday!

I think I gave you some pretty good insight into what I'm into but I really didn't mention a vice I developed about 7 or 8 years ago...I LOVE SWEETS!!!

Not an unusual thing but seriously, I have a major sweet tooth that kind of came out of nowhere.  I'm pretty sure my mom is still in denial about it seeing as I was the exact opposite as a kid.  Weird, I know.  I most definitely preferred carrot sticks and pretzels to cake or cookies.  However, my favorite candy was always and still is anything gummy.  The BEST gummy bears in the world...Haribo Gold Gummy Bears!!  Anyway, now you can see that I will also talk a lot about bakeries I found to be worth a visit.  I always...and I mean ALWAYS...have room for dessert when I'm out to eat and I will let you know what I find.

A follower, who just happens to be my sweets soulmate, asked me to give my opinion on a bakery that recently opened next to the 7-11 on Las Olas Blvd.  It's called Barbara Young Family Bakery...1523 E. Las Olas Blvd.  I pass this place on a daily basis and what caught my eye was the "OPEN" sign in the window and thought it was a cool font (I went to school for graphic design so I look at lettering).  I finally made it in and picked up some homemade chocolate chip cookies that were 3 for $1.99 and a key lime torte that my boyfriend and I shared after dinner.  The cookies were amazing...perfect amount of chocolate chunks and soft dough.  The key lime torte was not overly sweet with just the right amount of key lime tartness.  The texture was the perfect creaminess. I am a bit picky about key lime items...my absolute favorite key lime pie of all time is the one they make fresh at Joe's Stonecrab in Miami Beach.  I  can't get over the thick graham cracker crust.

So for some key lime yumminess without the drive to SoBe, check out Barbara Young and have a nice substitute.  I would also like to make an honorable mention to the pastry lady (whom I don't know) that makes desserts for a little italian bistro called Giorgio's on 17th Street Causeway.  Her key lime pie is the closest thing to Joe's in taste and texture.  I love this spot for lunch or dinner and always hope they have the key lime pie but it is pretty popular so sometimes they're out.  Stop in with fingers crossed:)

No comments:

Post a Comment